The center of the Kaga area (Ishikawa Prefecture)
Kanazawa is an old town sandwiched between the Sai-gawa and Asano-gawa rivers. In 1583, Maeda Toshiie moved into Kanazawa Castle as the lord of Kaga domain. From the time of the Edo government’s establishment in 1603, the Maeda family encouraged development of art and culture, so Kanazawa flourished as a castle town of the affluent Kaga domain. Kanazawa is still renowned as a town home to traditional crafts including Kutani-yaki porcelain ware and Kaga Yuzen dyeing and other traditional arts and crafts.